Monday, June 19, 2006

Juneteenth

I have an automatic calendar on my computer that pops up every time the computer is started if there is something special or planned on that day. Today "Juneteenth" popped up. I thought it was a weird name and quickly disregarded it as there was no description with it. Later on when I restarted the computer it popped up again. Persistent.

A quick Internet search (what would I do without the Internet) provided this: "Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day or Emancipation Day, is an annual holiday in some states of the United States. Celebrated on June 19, it commemorates the announcement of the abolition of slavery in Texas. The holiday originated in Galveston, Texas; for more than a century, the state of Texas was the primary home of Juneteenth celebrations. Since 1980, Juneteenth has been an official state holiday in Texas. More recently, however, its observance has spread across the nation."

Why do I mention it here today? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one not aware of this important day. Visit Wikipedia to learn more.

0 comments: