Sunday, March 04, 2007

Settled in Office Space

Slowly, certainly and most surely (I'm in an suffix mood) I've been taking over the dining room. As of yesterday it is definite. The dining room no longer exists. We only used it once a year anyway.

When we first moved into our house, ten years ago, I shared office space with Jeff in a small room next to the garage. At one point I had one of the spare rooms set up as an office but it never felt right being up there. Now it's a sewing room catch all.

After I broke my back, I had a temporary office set up in the living room. A desk someone was getting rid was added to a corner of the living room. And somehow it ended of in the dining room. We have a collapsible dining room table which now is in the corner behind me, and holds more work related stuff as well as the dog's dry food container. We moved the chairs to the basement for space.

After we moved the furniture back from having the floors repaired the desk found it's current location but the last few weeks I've felt out of sorts with my stuff down stairs in Jeff's office, upstairs, on the TV table by my chair, on the buffet etc. so I went in search of book shelves. After an exhaustive search (because I'm a cheapo) I finally found some (more later).

So here's the first image of my office. To my right is a lovely window and view of the cedar trees in the back yard. To my left is the living room window and fish tank. I've labelled some other features, not necessarily interesting but I felt worth mentioning.

A - This is an animal skin (can't remember which animal, not deer) drum I made with my two little hands about 4 years ago. I made it with a group of women who I was attending a drumming circle with. It's one of my favourite items. I love the sound it makes. It's great for releasing tension.

B - My inspirational bulletin board which pretty much looks the same as it did 6 years ago.

C - A very tiny origami purple crane from the owner of BellaOnline.

D - The bookshelves, cases, whatever you want to call them. I purchased them from Staples at a most excellent price. $99.00 plus tax for both. They are solid birch. You know how hard it is to find solid wood shelves under $100? Trust me it was hard and really a fluke that I found them. They are Mission design, which I love. Now if only I could find a Mission sofa table at such a good price.

E - Picture of Jeff in Niagara Falls.

F - The shelf Jeff made for my bulletin board (I'm spoiled).

G - The jalopy printer Jeff replaced in his office which suddenly works great on my desk. I'm not complaining. No more running down stairs to print something!

H - The shawl I made to keep me warm at my desk.

I - The miniature stuffed kitty that reminds me of Poohbear (see bulletin board).

J - My thought box / container for when I want to journal but can't think of anything to journal about.

K - Already have overflow that needed a place to go. Hopefully this doesn't get any bigger but who am I kidding. If there's a horizontal space I can fill it.

L - My manuscripts in progress.

M - My writing books. Most importantly Writers Market.

There you have it, my new office space. I feel settled.

1 comments:

HomeSchooling Ologist said...

Cool! Happy Writing!