Sunday, September 16, 2007

One True Thing

I never heard of the movie One True Thing but when I saw it starred Renee Zellweger and Meryl Streep I PVR'd it. It was released in 1998 (two years after Jerry McGuire) when Renee looked and acted normal. She plays Ellen Gulden (or Ellie as her family calls her), a moxie journalist living in New York. She goes home to visit her family for the holidays and finds out her mother has cancer. Her father demands that she give up everything to move back home and take care of her mother. Because she adores her father she does it.

It is beautifully filmed and acted. Without giving too much information, One True Thing is filmed from the perspective of Ellen as she's being interviewed by a lawyer about her mother's death. Her flashbacks are quite different from the words coming out of her mouth.

Ellie's mother has always been more of a silly inconvenience to her. As she begins to get to know her mother and see her father through adult eyes she realizes she has missed out on a truly fabulous woman. If you haven't seen this film you owe it to yourself to watch it. It is an interesting, entertaining and emotionally moving film.

Gilmore Girls starlet, Lauren Graham makes an appearance as the loyal best friend, Tom Everett Scott plays Ellen's impressionable brother and William Hurt her professor father. The film is based on the book by the same name written by Anna Quindlen. After watching it I consider it one of Renee's and Meryl's best films.

***
Topic Links
* Read more about One Sure Thing at Amazon.com
* Read more about One True Thing at Amazon.ca

2 comments:

Keris Stainton said...

It sounds great and I've never heard of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention - I'll stick it on my list :)

Anonymous said...

well. I was a big fam of both of them Renee and ofcourse her royal hollywood majesty MERYL STREEP. This movie was so great because it makes me weep, as in WEEEEEEEEEP.Watching this movie is not enough because if you notice it, the end is not yet an end. So, you better to read the book after watching it. I prefer to watch it with your family and have a fries and bundles of tissue with this.....

I will fab 10 stars for this......