Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Seal Slaughter

A friend sent me this today. It's that time of year again...
Dear Friends,

First of all, I want you all to know how much you mean to me. I love
sharing my life and music with you and am so happy to have your
support. If you know me personally, you know that I am a "cause"
person as my mom likes say. :) I've always stood up for the
underdog, since I was a little girl. Right now in Canada, there is a
catastrophe happening that needs our attention.

Every year, Canadian fishermen use their off season to slaughter over
300,000 baby harp seals for their fur, many of them babies as young as
12 days old. Some of them will have been skinned while still concious
and able to feel pain. The money that these fishermen make with these
furs is only a small portion of their income. You can do searches
online and find video of the slaughter. But I have to warn you, it is
horrific. The first (and only) time I saw the videos, I cried a river
of tears for these innocent little souls. Please take my word for it
and know that these animals are dying horrible deaths with no real
purpose other than to decorate human beings. Ack!

So what can you do to help? Please boycott Canadian seafood. A
financial blow to the commercial fishing industry's seafood exports is
key to bringing about an end to this vicious slaughter.

If you are willing to boycott Canadian seafood to save the seals,
please take a moment to visit the website below and sign a pledge.

http://www.hsus.org/protect_seals.html

The following is a list of seafood species that typically imports
from Canada. There are other sources of imports, however, so you MUST
ASK your grocer or server at a restaurant where their seafood comes
from. Grocery stores in the U.S. are required by law to label seafood
with its country of orgin. Because of this, it is easy to avoid
Canadian seafood if you aren't afraid to ask where the seafood comes
from.

If you order one of the following, please find out it's country of
origin before ordering:

Lobster
Scallops
Herring
Sardines
Snow Crabs
Shrimp
Perch
Flounder
Cod Haddock
Mussels
Trout
Mackrel
Oysters
Sole
Salmon

Many restaurants and grocery stores have already pledged to stop
buying Canadian seafood including Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and
Publix. But many major restaurants have not yet joined the campaign.
At any restaurant, ask your server about the origin of their seafood
before ordering. If they import from Canada, explain to them why you
will not be ordering seafood from them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email. I hope
that you are moved by my message to tell others about this issue.

Blessings,
Kristie
Do what you can.

0 comments: