Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Kitchen

One of the books I'm currently reading is The Poem I Turn To which is a collection of poetry loved by actors, directors and such. It's actually a quick read but I like to read poetry aloud to really get a cadence for it so it is probably taking me a bit longer than it would the next person.

Today I came across a poem adored by Kyra Sedgwick that was written by her "dear friend" Jocelyn Wright. It is short and sweet -- how I like my poetry -- but has a strong message that totally relates to a perspective I'm confronted with every day. I think it is a poem that almost every woman can relate to.
The Kitchen -- Jocelyn Wright

The pressure...
The pressure is on to be
tall
thin
and blonde
To be worked out enough to be firm
But not muscle-y enough to be masculinely strong
To be demure and deferential when you tell a man he is wrong
To be coiffed and well groomed at all hours of the day
Women are still cooking in the pressure pot
Cause little girls are being raised to be hot hot hot
There are many fine poems in this book, some of which I have marked to read again in the near future. But today this is my favorite poem. I hope you enjoy it as much I do.

***
Topic Links
* Get your own copy of The Poem I Turn To

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was a great poem!
simple & to the point!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Sad but true, I have to admit. That is a really powerful poem. Jocelyn Wright knows whereof she speaks, I think.