Friday, May 28, 2010

The Heat Doesn't Agree

To coin one of my favorite phrases, "It's like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot" (Matthew Broderick, Biloxi Blues).

That's right folks, summer has arrived in my little neck of the woods. The air conditioner is running and I'm avoiding going outdoors as much as possible. It was 37°C the other day. It's considerably cooler today but still hot and humid enough to make me whine.

I would not be exaggerating if I said the heat doesn't agree with me. After a few hours outdoors in heat like this I could be sick and bedridden for 24 hours. Throw in a sunburn (20 minutes of direct exposure is all it takes) and I'm a very unhappy camper.

Today I had to go out to get the dog because she refused to come in when I called her. Apparently she doesn't mind "sweating her bag off" (Jeff colloquialism), kiddie pool or not. On stepping out the back door I was greeted with the beautiful site of my clematis in full bloom. Apparently the heat works just fine for it.

It's beautiful moments like these that make short summers worth while. I ran back in and grabbed the camera to take this picture. You would think standing there for all of 30 seconds taking in nature's beauty I would be safe but no, damn mosquito found me.

1 comments:

Cheryl Kohan said...

That is a gorgeous clematis! Ours isn't blooming, yet. I think they can take all kinds of abuse like ungodly heat...thank goodness.