Friday, December 03, 2010

30 Days of Me: Day Five

It is day five of my 30 Days of Me challenge. Today's task on my list is: "A picture of somewhere you’ve been to."

This is a picture of Mount McKay. You can see it almost from any lookout in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I grew up in Fort William end of town looking at this sill every day. To the average person it probably isn't much but I have always thought it was beautiful during every season. I didn't get the opportunity to go up until my late teens when I went with a good friend to a Pow Wow put on by the Ojibway First Nation. It was an incredible experience sitting on the ground watching women and children and men in native ceremonial garb dance around while drums vibrated through the earth. It has always been one of my fondest experiences.

When Jeff and I were dating he took me up to a manufactured lookout that gives a splendid view of Thunder Bay in the summer. Another fond early date had us going up there in the winter, or at least trying, and getting the Bel-Air (big car Jeff was driving at the time) stuck in the snow. His dog Sandy was with us and not particularly co-operative. It was the first time I heard Jeff swear.

Every time we back to visit I'm always excited to see it. It like an old friend standing up to welcome me home.

0 comments: