Tuesday, February 01, 2011

30 Days of Photos: Day Nine

It is day nine of my 30 Days of Photos challenge (feel free to join me at any time).

You get two-for-one today. Here is a picture of our fifteen+ year old Proctor-Silex toaster oven. As you can see it has gotten a lot of use over the years. I've melted many a plastic bag on the top -- my favorite was the bag of beans that exploded all over the place when I lifted the bag off. Yes I have a thing for horizontal services and it is one of the reason why Jeff fears leaving me home alone.


Anyway, Canadian Tire has an Oster Digital Toaster Oven with Convection on sale for $75 (Reg. $150) so we decided to replace the old Procter-Silex which has been amazing and still cooks but doesn't toast anymore) with what we hope will be a more energy efficient upgrade that will allow us to use our not so energy efficient oven less. This will also replace the older toaster we have.

There wasn't a sale Oster locally so we had to drive to the next town last night (about 30 minutes) to pick one up there. When we got home I cleaned off the counter, rearranged some counter items and unpacked our shiny new toaster oven which is twice the size of the old one. I was all ready to make some toast (it can do 6 slices at one time) when I plugged it in but... nothing. No beep, no light, nada. We haven't even used it and it is dead. But it's pretty:



I've just finished packing it back up in to the box to go back to Canadian Tire to get a replacement. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Our last toaster oven lasted for over a decade and I expect this new one to do the same (well, not this one, the replacement we pick up). Even though the old one is smaller it still feels more substantial when you pick it up than the new one. I'm hoping this isn't a mistake. Will let you know after the first week of cooking.

0 comments: