Thursday, March 03, 2011

More Space in Kitchen

A few weeks ago I mentioned we got a new toaster oven (Oster Digital Toaster Oven with Convection). It's much bigger than our old toaster and having both of them on the spare counter completely took up all the extra space we had put the counter in for.

Much to my chagrin Jeff decided he wanted to put up a shelf. I talked him into cupboards and we went cupboard shopping. It was a learning experience that made me decide $600 was too much money and I allowed him to revisit the shelf idea again. After some discussion we decided on using the board I had in my office that I used for sorting papers, it has been standing in the corner for the last six months unused so I offered it up.

All he had to buy were brackets. I asked him to decorate the edge (there's a guy term for it but it escapes me) to match the plant shelf above the sink and he did.


I think the shelf has been up for about two weeks. I love it. As you can see we put both the microwave and the toaster oven on it. Jeff even put a light under the shelf so it wouldn't be too dark. I haven't used it yet but it's a nice feature to have. I wish we had done it sooner!


In the summer he will take it down and spray paint it white along with the kitchen doors.

Now for Oster's Digital Toaster Oven with Convection. It makes toast, it bakes, it fan bakes, it dehydrates. The only problem? The frigging manual sucks! Seriously. The only directions are how to set the clock and turn on each feature. There is no information on what to use the convection for i.e. bake chicken, not bake chicken, bake cake, not bake cake. Or if you are going to bake a cake or bake a chicken what kind of time variance from your regular oven I should use. No suggestions what-so-ever on how to use the bloody thing! I even went to their website, nothing. So basically everything is an experiment. Oster has some work to do in helping me to enjoy their product.

2 comments:

vesta44 said...

From the looks of the shelf, I'd say he used a router and beveled the edge (I watch a lot of home improvement shows.....lol). The shelf looks nice, and it gives you lots more usable space, nice idea.

Moe a.k.a. @biggirlblue said...

Yes, I think that's it! :D

Thanks. I can't believe how much I love it. It has totally reduced my anger level in the kitchen. LOL