Monday, March 21, 2005

Clockwork Orange

Since childhood I've wanted to watch Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. I had the opportunity this weekend to see it. Now I'm wondering why I wanted to see it so bad. Talk about a cheesy use of rubber sticks and rubber noses. It took me a half hour to figure out that Malcolm McDowell was the creepy British actor I've seen in so many other movies. As for the so called violence it was banned for, I guess I've been desensitived from all the action movies I've seen. This so called cult classic that Kubrick withdrew all copies until his death was boring, absurd and rediculous. I had to force myself to watch not because it was graphic but because I kept falling asleep.

For those who don't know the storyline: Alex played byMalcolm McDowell is caught by the police because his gang buddies are tired of him being their cranky abusive leader. He's sent to jail for murder. His sentence is reduced significantly when he agrees to undergo a special therapy to remove violent urges. When ever he sees or thinks of violence or sees boobs he feels like he's going to vomit.

I definitely wouldn't watch it again. I'm still in shock it was considered a masterpiece in its time. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Nicholson, now that's a masterpiece.

***
Topic Links
*A Clockwork Orange
*One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

0 comments: