Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fat Asses and Skinny Bitches Kind of Day

I was having a great day today. It usually is when I'm having a great day that someone seems to go out of their way to make sure it stops. So you think I wouldn't be surprised but I was.

After physio I had a couple errands, one of them was stopping at the grocery store to pick up bananas, canned tuna, and chicken breasts. I didn't even get a basket. I was walking down the last half of the isle leading up to the checkout when the voices of a few girls suddenly came into my radar.

"Is my ass that fat?" asked one. As I moved into line at the check out they stepped in behind me. Another replied.

"You could wrap me around your ass two or three times and your ass still wouldn't be as fat as hers." With the inflection she used on hers, I knew she was referring to me.

Yes, I have a fat ass. Duh! No rocket scientist needed for that. But there is still no excuse for being so incredibly rude. There are two words to describe what I felt at that moment: dumbfounded and angry.

Immediately following the above statement was a shush followed by giggling and a "I don't care."

Obviously, I felt they were talking about me. And if they weren't it was definitely some fattie in the immediate vicinity. Still rude and still uncalled for.

Now, I know I'm fat. But for another woman to be so incredibly rude really threw me. I wanted to turn around and say something so badly, and as an afterthought I probably should of. But at the time all I could think was if I turn around I will be arrested for battery and embarrass my husband (no he wasn't there but he'd have to come and bail me out).

A minute or so later the one with the mouth went past me to get a box for the groceries they were buying. And I immediately thought, there is a girl who thinks her shit doesn't stink. I bagged up my things and left. As I was pulling out and saw the girl with the mouth full of disrespect, I had my first look at the other two women she was with; another young slim girl and a slightly overweight older woman, probably one of the girl's moms. This seemed to bother me even more.

I've never been a fan of Mo'Nique's stand up comedy (but I love her movies) mainly because of her use of the term "skinny bitches". Something about it has always bothered me because, let's face it, not all skinny women can be clumped into one category like that just like fat women shouldn't be. But for the first time I feel like I truly understand what she means by "skinny bitches" because today I definitely had my first run in with one.

Now to let it go and get on with the rest of my day!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Man people can be so rude, truly you did the right thing! you have to brush your shoulder off I mean any person that has to compare themselves to feel better or disrespect someone to feel great has serious troubles not just about finding ways to feel better. Those girls are hot messes up and down, you keep walking boldly: )

Anonymous said...

Why "skinny bitches"? You mention one of them was "slightly overweight". Do we have to label them "slightly overweight bitches"?

How about just "petty, rude women/bitches"? That covers just about every size, age, height and weight variance. Skinny or fat, women are nasty about other women. It isn't a skinny vs. fat thing all the time.

You were right to ignore them, but I would have been tempted to say, "Your mouth is as big as my ass. You should practice shutting it"

Moe a.k.a. @biggirlblue said...

Anon -- I agree, it isn't a skinny against fat all the time (bitches comes in all sizes and from all backgrounds unfortunately), otherwise I wouldn't have skinny friends. The reference to "skinny bitches" had more to do with Mo'nique's reference than anything. It's heavily used in her comedy routines and always bugged me. The girl in the scenario was just a bitch plain and simple. I love your retort though, I wish I would have thought of it at the time!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Bitches, yes, but mostly they were brats. Obviously they were spoiled brats. I can't stand brats. Their slightly overweight mother (or whoever she was) should have been ashamed of herself.

But remember, "What goes around, comes around". I take a great deal of comfort in that.

Cie Cheesemeister said...

The woman was as bad if not worse than the girls. They all should have been bitch slapped into next week!