Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Importance of Reading Labels

I've been on a concentrated frozen fruit juice kick for the last few weeks since I discovered Teaopia and their blended Guava/Pear Matcha drinks. I decided I'd try making my own at home when I found a new blended juice by Minute Maid's that has Guava, Passion Fruit and Orange because who can afford a $6 every week. And I'm quite happy with the results.

The other day I went to pick up some more juice but they were all out of the Guava mix that I love. I decided to substitute it with another new variety of the same brand that was a mixture of Mango and Orange. I mean, I like mangoes.

So I made up the juice and tasted tested it, made my blended drink, and of course forced Jeff to do a taste test. The juice was heavier in texture than the other one but otherwise not bad.

For some reason while Jeff was doing his taste test I decided to read the label. Here's what I learned:
  • It's made with 100% juice
  • It has Omega-3
  • 4 tbsp prepared contains 0.1 grams of fat (who only drinks 4 tbsps?)
  • Some of the ingredients: fish oil (anchovy and sardine), fish gelatin, sunflower oil
Fish oil? Jeff nearly pitched a fit after he realized I wasn't kidding. He hates fish. Suddenly, the juice tasted like fish and he has refused to drink it since.

Now I realize that the whole fish oil thing is so they can slap "omega-3" on the front but really. One of the reasons we stopped drinking Sunny D years ago was because we finally got around to reading the label and found out it's loaded with canola oil (makes it smooth when it goes down).

Who would think to read their ingredients on Minite Maid juice? I certainly will from now on. As for my Guava juice I went to the label immediately the next time I found it. Three ingredients: oranges, guava and passionfruit. Phew!

0 comments: