Saturday, March 20, 2010

Movie Screen in My Living Room

It's tax season. And unlike last year, my taxes didn't cancel out Jeff's return. This meant good news for our movie and soap opera viewing enjoyment as Jeff decided it was time to replace this TV:

It looks like a pretty good TV and really as far as TVs go we were happy with it. Ignorance is bliss. It was big, heavy and awkward but the main problem was that it was dark; although you wouldn't know it from this picture. Sometimes we'd be watching a movie and when a dark scene came up all we could see was the glints of people's eyes, if we were lucky. The TV was in to the shop once and a TV guy turned up the lightness and that helped for a while but we've been noticing the darkness getting much worse lately.

Jeff is a research guy. And I'm perfectly happy to let him be the research guy and for him to give me the Coles Notes versions of what he finds.

We took this knowledge and spent the Saturday visiting Future Shop, Best Buy, and the Brick. Not once, but twice in one day. After lots of talking, listening, and measuring, we ended up with a Samsung from Best Buy:

It's 39" across. Jeff had originally had in mind one a few inches bigger and I talked him out of it. We just don't have the depth to sit that far back and as you can see there isn't a lot of space to fit a bigger television.

I have to say, it rocks. It's like having a movie screen in my living room. Now I realize compared to what some people have this is still small but compared to what we have it is awesome.

The other day I was watching General Hospital and I could actually see all the detail in the back at both Sonny's and Jason's homes. It made the long Saturday and the exodus of cash all the more worth it.

1 comments:

Cheryl Kohan said...

Very, very nice. I know what you mean about the black screen bit...we went through that, too, and you just want to tear your hair out!

I got a good chuckle out of your phrase "the exodus of cash"! Isn't it the truth. But I figure that in the long run it's a lot better value than going out all the time. Have fun!