Tuesday, January 16, 2007

30 Wanna Movie Hottie: 6

There are so many hotties out there in movie land but as every week passes I'm finding it harder and harder to commit to one hottie for the week. This week's wanna movie hottie is Viggo Mortensen. I remember visiting his personal website years ago, long before he was ever a King, which he maintained and shared his poetry. I really miss visiting his website. I can't even access the archives of it on the WayBackMachine.

One of the things I like about him besides his obvious good looks is his multi-creative interests/talents. Besides being an intense actor he's also a writer, photographer and painter. These days he's best known for his role in Lord of the Rings (one of the best movies of all time).

I first fell for him as Lucifer in The Prophecy, long after he had appeared in a number of films. Some other favourite characters of mine are Master Chief in G.I. Jane (love that moustache and those shorts), the travelling salesman in A Walk on the Moon, the silent coffin maker in The Passion of Darkly Noon, and the other man in A Perfect Murder. I liked him in Daylight too but really have a hard time watching it when he gets squashed. It really bothers me.

I grew up watching western movies (Clint Eastwood is my cowboy hero) and was so excited when he made Hidalgo; a beautifully shot movie about a rundown rodeo clown and his horse who travel to Arabia to enter a race but find another purpose. And how could it not move your heart that he bought the horse he worked with? In A History of Violence he started to look his age (49) but is still incredibly handsome.

The basics: He was born in 1958 in New York City and is of Danish decent. He is well travelled. He was educated at St. Lawrence University in New York but I don't know what he majored in, probably languages. He can speak Spanish, Danish, French, Swedish and Norwegian (I have a hard enough time with English). Not surprisingly, he is also a theatre man. He has his own publishing company (Perceval Press) where he's published his poetry and photographic novels as well as other unique writer's works. He's divorced and has one teen-aged son.

***
Topic Links
* Perceval Press
* Hidalgo
* A Walk on the Moon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked him in LOTR, but haven't liked him in anything else. He seems a bit dorky, not sexy like he was in LOTR. Puzzling.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for intruding. This post popped up in a google alert for Viggo.

You state you used to visit his website? He, himself, never has had one. All are some form of fan base. Viggo chronicles closed after being hacked, a few others because the webmasters couldn't keep up anymore.
If you'd like a very nice, well maintained Viggo site, I highly recommend viggo-works (www.viggo-works.com).

Moe a.k.a. @biggirlblue said...

Sorry, to contradict, but yes he did have his own website. It was before 1997. It was not a fan based site.