Saturday, April 16, 2011

Anti-Depressant Kit

I am not a hoarder. But I do recognize that I have hoarding tendencies. Maybe we all do to some extent.

I can't remember the title of the book I read; about ten years ago, and it really has been a savior but after reading it I got in the habit of going through certain areas of my house a couple times a year and getting rid of things I haven't used in the last six to eight months. It is really a hard thing to do because: a/ I probably paid money for it and b/ I always have that "what if I need it in the future" question in my head. Then I won't have one and will have to spend money to get another one or do with out when I had already had one. While these things still go through my mind I also ask the question, "Can someone else make better use of it?" And that question helps me give things away. Not everything obviously, some things I have emotional attachments to that I have no desire of breaking while others are less painful. I still feel pretty cluttered at times even though I know that overall we live a less cluttered life than we did about fifteen years ago. It took a few years but Jeff eventually followed suit.

Which brings me to today's mini-project. Cleaning out my desk drawer. I haven't cleaned out the drawer in a while and I noticed it has been increasingly hard to close this past week. There are basics I always use like pens, post-its, scissors. And there is the stapler, playing cards, more pens, my Wacom drawing pad and a few mice, the computer kind. There's packing tape for BIW prizes once a month, an adapter for some computer but am pretty sure it is not my current one. There are a few candles, sage, a large empty Ziploc bag, recipe cards, and a bag of blue marbles. And a few other things I'll show you in a minute.

Should I get rid of some of this stuff? Maybe one or two times but for the most part I'm just going to spend a few minutes organizing the small space and maybe moving a few things to another space. I'm not in the getting rid of frame of mind today although a few things will find their way into the trash -- pens that don't write.

Here are a few things I thought were interesting:

My hoard of post-it notes and stickies which I use often but seldom share. One of my favorite things to get in my stocking at Christmas is Post-it notes. If there are no post-it or "stickies" I'm very sad. Which is kind of sad.


I bought this little goddess online. I like the shape and feel of it but still haven't decided what to do with it. I still like it so it will go in another drawer.


And the best find? A "Anti-Depressant Kit" I was given some time ago and had forgotten about. It made me smile as I read the note: "For those times when you need a 'pick me up', just open this anti-depressant kit and you're sure to feel better soon. It contains: An eraser, so you can make all your problems disappear. A penny, so you can never say 'I'm broke!' A marble, in case someone says, 'You've lost your marbles!' A rubber band, so you can stretch yourself beyond limits. A string, to tie things together when everything falls apart. A hug and a kiss, to remind you that someone somewhere cares about you!"


What truly amazes me is that there was chocolate in my desk and I didn't eat it. Have a lovely Saturday!

1 comments:

The Eclectic WAHM said...

I can so relate. I'm not a hoarder either...but I think you're right - we all can have those tendencies from time to time. It's silly, but I actually started watching an episode or two of "Hoarders" online when I feel the need to start getting rid of stuff. It seems to be just the inspiration I need. Usually I can come up with a couple of boxes or bags to donate and a couple bags of trash after I've had my "Hoarders" fix. :-)